At the turn of the last century, this block was at the centre of downtown Vancouver, and had some of the city’s most sophisticated early commercial buildings
Among the best was the Ralph Block, (126 West Hastings Street) designed by architects Parr and Fee, the initial frontage completed in 1899. The highly detailed masonry and cast iron facade is unusual for Vancouver. It is listed as a B on the Heritage Register but sits vacant and in an advanced state of decay.
Across the street is the also-vacant Woodward’s building.