Historic Building Permits project
Architect? Cost? Date? Launched Nov 2011, our ongoing Vancouver Building Permits 1901-1921 database, currently contains 32,973 hand-transcribed searchable historic permits, with thanks to a Vancouver125 Grant for making the project launch possible. permits.heritagevancouver.org
A conversation with Brian Jackson about Heritage in Vancouver
Thursday, October 15, 2015 ; 6:30pm to 8:30pm
Committee Room 1, 3rd Floor,
Vancouver City Hall, 453 West 12th Avenue
Tickets: General $10; Members: $8.50
All revenues from the event support Heritage Vancouver’s conservation initiatives
Heritage Vancouver once again welcomes Brian Jackson, General Manager, Planning and Development Services for the City of Vancouver for our annual heritage review.
As the chief planner overseeing the city’s momentous Heritage Action Plan, Mr. Jackson will offer a valuable perspective on the future direction of heritage conservation. And as work on the Heritage Action Plan winds down with the end of the Heritage Register nomination period and the conclusion of the Public Hearing on the proposed First Shaughnessy Heritage Conservation Area, this year’s review is particularly timely and salient.
Heritage Vancouver works closely with the City of Vancouver to find solutions for the conservation of our heritage structures. Heritage issues over the past year have included the The Heritage Action Plan, Heritage Schools, Sinclair Centre, the Main Post Office, First Shaughnessy, the Heritage Register update, St. Paul’s Hospital, and Waterfront Tower.
We encourage you to submit questions prior to the event to firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure that your questions are on the agenda.
Purchase your tickets today as space is limited.
First Shaughnessy District:
Proposed Heritage Conservation Area (HCA)
Update: The First Shaughnessy Heritage Conservation Area (HCA) was PASSED unanomously by Council September 29! We thank everyone who took the time to write in and/or present to Council.
We've created a booklet on the proposed HCA in First Shaughnessy, listed our points for and also compiled the arguments made against the HCA and have included our response.
First Shaughnessy HCA booklet (PDF):
Past events – listing
• Secrets of the Penthouse Night Club
• Tales of the West End
• Opsal Steel Building - Preview Tour
• West End Plan and Heritage - Discussion
• Conversation with Brian Jackson, Director of Planning CoV
• Annual Garden Party Fundraiser
• Our 1st Annual Self-Guided Garden Tours in 2012
• Howard Hughes at the Bayshore tours
• 100th Anniversary of the Stanley Park Pavilion & the Rock Garden
• A Night of Tiki at the Waldorf Hotel & Bar
• Heritage Vancouver Society & the Vancouver Heritage Foundation: A Conversation about new Strategic Alliances
• Wing Sang Building (1889) Tour & Fundraiser
• Heritage & the Arts – Inaugural Long Table Social
• 2011 Top 10 Endangered Sites Bus Tour
• Art Deco Movie Screening of 42nd Street, hosted by Dal Richards
• Robert Fung’s Gastown – Tour and Reception
• Walking Tour - Strathcona, Vancouver's Old East End
• Walking Tour - Chinatown
• Walking Tour - Hippie Kitsilano
• Walking Tour - Vancouver’s West End
• The Exotic World of Art Deco World’s Fairs
• Tour of the Art Deco Marine Building & Penthouse (1930)
• The Future of Vancouver's Historic Theatres Discussion
• Shanghai and Miami - The Exotic World of Art Deco
• Robert Fung Gastown Tour & Reception
• Heatley Block Discussion
• The Penthouse Nightclub tour/event with Vintage Burlesque
• Our Annual Top Ten Endangered Sites bus tour (Annually, in May)
• Density Bank and Heritage Incentives Discussion
• EcoDensity Forum
• Japantown Forum
• Annual Christmas Party at Roedde House Museum
• Bowling at the Historic Commodore Lanes
• Various Community Speakers on Heritage Issues
• Walking Tour - Hastings Street