Historic Building Permits project
Architect? Cost? Date? Launched Nov 2011, our ongoing Vancouver Building Permits 1901-1921 database, currently contains 32,141 hand-transcribed searchable historic permits, with thanks to a Vancouver125 Grant for making the project launch possible. permits.heritagevancouver.org
Feb 11: Evening at the Marine Building Penthouse
Feb 21: Heritage Week Walking Tour - Granville Street
Evening at the Marine Building Penthouse
Wednesday, February 11, 2015
5pm to 8pm
Location: Marine Building Penthouse, 2000 - 355 Burrard Street
Tickets: $100 donation to Heritage Vancouver with tax receipt issued.
Includes wine and hors d'oeuvres reception
Heritage Vancouver invites you to attend a special evening in the ultra-elegant, Jazz Age Penthouse of the Marine Building, “Vancouver’s Finest Heritage Building”.
This is a unique opportunity to explore the two floors of the private Penthouse, enjoy the Art Deco atmosphere and the fabulous view, hear about its unique history and share your own personal experiences, stories and photos of the Marine Building. Heritage Vancouver’s Past President Donald Luxton will lead tours of the lobby and mezzanine of the Marine Building and point out many of the building’s spectacular architectural features.
The Marine Building, which opened in 1930, was the landmark project of architects McCarter & Nairne. In 1933, A. J. T. Taylor, managing director of British Pacific, bought the building and built a lavish, Art Deco penthouse on the top floor, overlooking the city. A ride on the tiny elevator that connects the Penthouse with the 18th floor is a highlight of the evening.
The Penthouse has many of its original features still intact, and is currently the office of Urbanics Consultants Ltd, our generous host and sponsor for the evening.
Purchase your tickets early as there are a limited number of spaces for this exclusive event and it will sell out.
All proceeds support Heritage Vancouver’s initiatives to conserve Vancouver’s built heritage.
Heritage Week Walking Tour:
Granville Street, Then and Now
February 16-22 is Heritage Week! Come learn about the changes to and significance of this all-important founding street of Vancouver!
Saturday, February 21, 2015; 1pm to 3pm
Tickets: $15; Heritage Vancouver members $10
Tour begins at West Georgia & Granville (SW corner, near Canada Line Entrance for Vancouver City Centre Station)
Join historian and Senior Planner for Downtown Vancouver, Michael Gordon in an exploration of Granville Street, one of Vancouver’s pre-eminent ‘high streets’ reflecting many elements that define our city.
On Wednesday, May 15, 1886, Lauchlan Hamilton, a City of Vancouver Aldermen and the CPR Land Commissioner began to stake out and survey what would become Granville Street. Our walk will begin at the southwest corner of Granville Street and West Georgia Street, the original location of the first two Hotel Vancouver’s built and managed by the Canadian Pacific Railway.
We will then walk south on Granville Street and look and hear about the street’s history. Important historic Granville Street buildings and key events that occurred will be discussed such as the emergence of the street as a ‘theatre row’ in the 1920’s.
The Parr and Fee buildings, including their Vancouver block and a number of hotels will also be highlighted. The past and current roles of the street as a transit hub, a shopping street, an office, hotel and entertainment district and a cultural and neon mecca will also be highlighted.
It will also be noted that a key Council decision in the early 90’s reduced the permitted height from 300 feet to 90’ on the blocks south of Robson Street resulting in the retention of almost all of the historic buildings that existed on these southerly blocks at that time.
Cheque payment option:
Made out to Heritage Vancouver Society and mailed to: 1020 Denman St., PO Box 47036 Denman Place, Vancouver, BC V6G 3E1. Please let us know if you've mailed a cheque at: email@example.com
Past events – listing
• Secrets of the Penthouse Night Club
• Tales of the West End
• Opsal Steel Building - Preview Tour
• West End Plan and Heritage - Discussion
• Conversation with Brian Jackson, Director of Planning CoV
• Annual Garden Party Fundraiser
• Our 1st Annual Self-Guided Garden Tours in 2012
• Howard Hughes at the Bayshore tours
• 100th Anniversary of the Stanley Park Pavilion & the Rock Garden
• A Night of Tiki at the Waldorf Hotel & Bar
• Heritage Vancouver Society & the Vancouver Heritage Foundation: A Conversation about new Strategic Alliances
• Wing Sang Building (1889) Tour & Fundraiser
• Heritage & the Arts – Inaugural Long Table Social
• 2011 Top 10 Endangered Sites Bus Tour
• Art Deco Movie Screening of 42nd Street, hosted by Dal Richards
• Robert Fung’s Gastown – Tour and Reception
• Walking Tour - Strathcona, Vancouver's Old East End
• Walking Tour - Chinatown
• Walking Tour - Hippie Kitsilano
• Walking Tour - Vancouver’s West End
• The Exotic World of Art Deco World’s Fairs
• Tour of the Art Deco Marine Building & Penthouse (1930)
• The Future of Vancouver's Historic Theatres Discussion
• Shanghai and Miami - The Exotic World of Art Deco
• Robert Fung Gastown Tour & Reception
• Heatley Block Discussion
• The Penthouse Nightclub tour/event with Vintage Burlesque
• Our Annual Top Ten Endangered Sites bus tour (Annually, in May)
• Density Bank and Heritage Incentives Discussion
• EcoDensity Forum
• Japantown Forum
• Annual Christmas Party at Roedde House Museum
• Bowling at the Historic Commodore Lanes
• Various Community Speakers on Heritage Issues
• Walking Tour - Hastings Street