Historic Building Permits project
Architect? Cost? Date? Launched Nov 2011, and recipient of the City of Vancouver 2015 Heritage Award of Honour, our ongoing Vancouver Building Permits Database, currently contains online 34,729 hand-transcribed searchable historic permits, with thanks to a Vancouver125 Grant for making the project launch possible, and volunteers for ongoing transcriptions! permits.heritagevancouver.org
Shaping Vancouver 2016 Series:
Apr. 13, May 18, June 15, Sept. 28; 7pm to 9pm
SFU Woodwards Djavad Mowafaghian World Art Centre
149 West Hastings Street
Full details and registration >
Following an extremely successful Shaping Vancouver 2015 series on the City of Vancouver Heritage Action Plan, its initiative to update how the City’s heritage conservation is managed, Heritage Vancouver is thrilled to present our award winning series for 2016.
The series will put together heritage and community experts together to engage in conversation with the public around the heritage of our neighbourhoods, not only in terms of conservation but also in terms of the legacy we are creating for the future of Vancouver and what the actions we are taking today might mean for heritage in the future. The series will begin with an overview of how we may define a neighborhood and what is needed to create community. The series will then take the discussion to specific neighbourhoods in our city.
Co-presented by SFU's Vancity Office of Community Engagement
Social media #shapingvancouver
Bus Tour: 2016 Top10 Endangered Sites
Saturday, May 7, 2016; 1pm to 5pm
Meet in front of the Museum of Vancouver, 1100 Chestnut Street at Vanier Park
Tickets: $40; Heritage Vancouver Members $30
Tickets on sale here >
Climb aboard a Transit Museum Society (TRAMS) historic bus for an exclusive guided tour of Heritage Vancouver’s 2016 Top Ten Endangered sites!
Since 2001, Heritage Vancouver has published this well-regarded list annually on the most endangered sites in Vancouver. It details in depth the threat to, the significance of, and our position on these at risk resources and is the product of countless hours of work by dedicated volunteers and staff.
On the tour, you will visit all 10 sites on the list for 2016.
Well-respected author, heritage expert and consultant Donald Luxton will be the tour guide and he will fascinate you with stories and details of this year’s endangered sites. The bus will stop at two selected sites for extended conversation and discussion.
Our 2016 list will be released April 20, and you'll see and hear first hand, Vancouver's most threatened sites and issues surrounding them while riding along on a historic bus around town!
Please consider supporting our ongoing work on the top 10 list as well as our other initiatives to build a future for heritage in Vancouver by becoming a Heritage Vancouver member. Members enjoy a discounted rate!
Cheque payment option:
Made out to Heritage Vancouver Society and mailed to:
PO Box 74123, Hillcrest Park PO, Vancouver, BC V5V 5C8
Please let us know if you've mailed a cheque at: email@example.com
PIBC 4.0 LUs of Organized/Structured CPL activity
AIBC Credits 4 Core LUs
Save the Date:
Celebrate the 5th Anniversary of the
Heritage Vancouver Garden Tour!
Saturday, June 11 & Sunday, June 12, 2016
Both days 10am to 4pm
Earlybird tickets, online: $30
May 8, online & locations: $35
Hard to believe but this is the 5th year for our popular self-guided tour of private Vancouver Gardens–a fundraiser for Heritage Vancouver.
We are very excited about the line-up of lovely gardens this year-from large and dramatic estates including a stunning waterfront location to a teeny courtyard that shows creative solutions to a small space, to a plant lover’s paradise, all native plants, cottage style, water gardens, gazebos, creative hardscaping (lawn replacement!) and everything in between you will be sure to be inspired!
Don’t miss out, get your tickets now! View all the info, and buy tickets here >
Update: The First Shaughnessy Heritage Conservation Area (HCA) was PASSED unanomously by Council September 29! We thank everyone who took the time to write in and/or present to Council.
We've created a booklet on the proposed HCA in First Shaughnessy, listed our points for and also compiled the arguments made against the HCA and have included our response.
First Shaughnessy HCA booklet (PDF):
Past events – listing
• Secrets of the Penthouse Night Club
• Tales of the West End
• Opsal Steel Building - Preview Tour
• West End Plan and Heritage - Discussion
• Conversation with Brian Jackson, Director of Planning CoV
• Annual Garden Party Fundraiser
• Our 1st Annual Self-Guided Garden Tours in 2012
• Howard Hughes at the Bayshore tours
• 100th Anniversary of the Stanley Park Pavilion & the Rock Garden
• A Night of Tiki at the Waldorf Hotel & Bar
• Heritage Vancouver Society & the Vancouver Heritage Foundation: A Conversation about new Strategic Alliances
• Wing Sang Building (1889) Tour & Fundraiser
• Heritage & the Arts – Inaugural Long Table Social
• 2011 Top 10 Endangered Sites Bus Tour
• Art Deco Movie Screening of 42nd Street, hosted by Dal Richards
• Robert Fung’s Gastown – Tour and Reception
• Walking Tour - Strathcona, Vancouver's Old East End
• Walking Tour - Chinatown
• Walking Tour - Hippie Kitsilano
• Walking Tour - Vancouver’s West End
• The Exotic World of Art Deco World’s Fairs
• Tour of the Art Deco Marine Building & Penthouse (1930)
• The Future of Vancouver's Historic Theatres Discussion
• Shanghai and Miami - The Exotic World of Art Deco
• Robert Fung Gastown Tour & Reception
• Heatley Block Discussion
• The Penthouse Nightclub tour/event with Vintage Burlesque
• Our Annual Top Ten Endangered Sites bus tour (Annually, in May)
• Density Bank and Heritage Incentives Discussion
• EcoDensity Forum
• Japantown Forum
• Annual Christmas Party at Roedde House Museum
• Bowling at the Historic Commodore Lanes
• Various Community Speakers on Heritage Issues
• Walking Tour - Hastings Street