Did you know?
Demolitions and neighbourhood character loss is an overriding concern.
• Over 1000 homes are demolished every year. In 2015, there was around 1141.
• There is one character home and seven trees demolished everyday in Vancouver.
Recent demolitions of key heritage sites include:
• Ridge Theater
• Pantages Theatre
• The Heritage Register “A-Listed” Legg House
Some of the most at risk sites threatened by demolition or inappropriate development include:
• the Burrard Building of St. Paul’s Hospital
• the Hollywood Theatre
• Commercial Drive
• Whole residential neighbourhoods with character homes such as Dunbar and West Point Grey
In a recent questionnaire conducted by the City of Vancouver as part of the Heritage Action Plan:
- 74% of people responded that they wish for the definition of heritage to be expanded to sites and areas with cultural and social value.
- 90% of people stated that Heritage contributes to a residents’ sense of place
- 94% of people responded that they place value on historic places and heritage buildings
- 97% of people polled responded that heritage buildings needed to be preserved
- 92% of people polled responded that they valued character buildings.